District and School level users assigned the System Admin > Create/Edit Role permission have the ability to create custom user roles for district staff, site administrators, curriculum specialists, instructional coaches, and teachers according to what the specific user needs to see and do.
This article will review how to create a new Custom Role for specific users in your district.
Where to Start:
- From the Top Menu Bar Grid icon, click the Admin tile. Select the Roles tab.
- Select the Roles tab.
- A list of default Roles can be viewed, along with a brief description of each.
- Role Summary - To view a summary of permissions for a specific Role, click a Role Name hyperlink (in blue) to view a Read Only pop-up window of the permission table. All checkmarks appear in gray.
Create a New Role - New Custom Roles may be created as needed for specific users for specific purposes.
- Click Create New Role.
4. Role Name: Give the new Role a name.
Role Description (optional): Describe the new Role.
5. Access Level - Select the User Level at which the new Role should have access - District, School, or Teacher. (only one selection is permitted) Limit Data View options will automatically populate along with a blank slate of permissions.
- Limit Data View To - Select the school(s) that the new Role will be able to access and select the Grade(s), if any
- Permissions: In each section, check the boxes of the necessary permissions for the new Role
Click Save to save your new Role, or click Back to return to the previous page.
Inherit Role From
- Click Inherit Role From.
- Select Role name - From the drop down list, select the Inherited Role name (Admin, District, School,Teacher), then click Apply.
- Select Permissions - Uncheck the permissions that the new Role does not need, and keep the box checked next to the permission(s) the new Role should have.
- Click Save to save the new Role, or Back to return to the previous page. The new Role may now be assigned to the specific User(s) for whom it was created.
The new custom role may be similar to an existing role. Instead of starting with a blank slate of permissions, this option will allow you to start with all of the permissions already selected for the inherited role and then adjust, as necessary.
Assign a Role to a User
- Click the Users tab.
- Use the Search filters to narrow the list of users. Click Refresh.
- Search for the specific user by entering their name in the search box. Click the magnifying glass icon.
- To the right of the user’s name, click the Functions column down arrow, then click Edit.
5. Click the Role dropdown menu and select the desired Custom Role.
6. The new role will be listed below. If this is an additional role for this user, select which role to make as the user’s primary role when he/she logs in. Select the School(s) if this is a School Level role. Select grade(s), if applicable.
Click Save after adding the role or making any other edits.