Performance Levels are an optional component when setting up an assessment. Depending on the type of assessment you are building and how you plan to analyze scores, assessment performance levels can be helpful in interpreting assessment data.
This article covers the various options for Performance Level Setup.
An assessment cannot be published until all steps in the assessment breadcrumb are checked.
If you do not plan to include Performance Levels for your assessment you can do so, but you must cycle through all the assessment Setup screens and click the Next button on the Performance Level screen to register the breadcrumb green check prior to publishing your assessment.
Performance Level Setup
Performance levels are optional. If available, users can use an existing template, or customize performance levels as desired. Performance levels help users to interpret their assessment data in reports.
Load from Available Templates - Select to use a template previously uploaded by the District Template Manager, as determined by permission from the district administrator.
Add additional Performance Level Sets or IP Performance Levels - Select to include up to 2 additional performance level sets or add IP Performance Levels
Skip Performance Level - Select if you do not want to add performance levels. A message will appear confirming this action. Select OK to go to the next step.
- Add Performance Level - Select here to manually create performance levels.
(Optional) Select if more than one set of Performance Levels is desired. For example, one set may be by performance descriptors and one set may be by alphabetical grades. A minimum of two sets are needed to enable this feature. A maximum of three Performance Level sets may be created.
- Select Performance Level Sets from the dropdown.
- The first set will appear under an orange tab. Two new tabs will show Set 2 and Set 3.
- Select the Performance Level Set 2 tab. Repeat the same process for the second set by either loading from available templates, or creating custom performance levels.
- Repeat for Performance Level Set 3.
- To delete Set 3, select the X in the upper right corner of the tab.
(Optional) Select to apply IP Performance levels. IP Performance levels allows users to create performance levels based on student, average, or item. Assessment data with IP Performance Levels will be reflected on the IP Report.
- Select IP Performance Level Sets from the dropdown menu.
- Select the Student, Item, or Average Performance Levels tab. IP Performance Levels should be selected for each tab, but is not required.
- Select Load from Template.
- Select Apply This Template to add an IP Performance Level Set.
IP Performance levels are reflected on the Test Results, Feedback Cards, and IP tabs as well as the IP Summary and IP By Item sub-tabs of the Integrated Performance (IP) Report. Take a look at Integrated Performance (IP) Report to learn more.
- Go to Assessments.
- Select the Rescoring icon.
- Open the Performance Level tab.
- Select Load from Available Templates to add or update Performance Levels.
Users may choose to create their own Performance Levels or IP Performance Levels by percentage instead of using an existing template, or to modify an existing template.
- Setup Performance Levels by Percentage: Select which level corresponds with proficient and enter the desired percentage correct for proficient and above.
- Select Add Performance Level for each new performance level. Beginning with the lowest level, enter the level number, description, and color code.
- The cut points will be automatically calculated as determined by the total points possible.
- Setup Performance Levels by Cut Points: If you prefer to set up the performance levels by cut points instead of percentage, then select Cut Points, and enter the desired cut points for each level. The percentages will be automatically calculated.
- Previous, Save and Next - Click Next after you have made all your selections and you wish to continue with your assessment creation. If you are done with your selections and wish to exit the system click the Save button before exiting. If you want to go back to a previous step, click on Previous.
- Click Load from Available Templates.
- Scroll through the existing templates and select the one you wish to use by clicking on Apply this Template.
- The template will appear in the Performance Level step.
- You may edit the template by deleting levels, renaming the levels, changing colors, changing the “Percentage From” values, setup levels by Cut Points instead of by Percentage.