District and School level users assigned the System Admin > Create/Edit Users permission have the ability to manage user accounts for other staff members.
This article will review how to manage users in the Admin module.
Where to Start
- From the Top Menu Bar Grid icon, click the Admin tile.
- Use the drop down menus to find a group of users, then click Refresh.
- Search Box - Use to find a specific user. Enter the first or last name of specific user, then click on the magnifying glass icon.
- Download icon - Export the onscreen user table to PDF, Excel or CSV.
- Inactivate/Delete - Check the box to the left of the user’s name. Then click the "i" icon to Inactivate or Trash can icon to Delete. When a user clicks either the Inactivate or Delete icon, they will receive a pop up asking them to confirm the action they are about to take.
- Select All Records - By default, 50 records display per page. Check the box next to Select All Records to view all.
- User Information - User Name, Last Name, First Name, Role, District/School, Status (Active or Inactive), Assume Identity, Functions (Edit, History, Inactivate, Rename, Reset Password).
- Assume Identity - District and School level users assigned the Assume Identity permission, may assume the identity of another user, typically for the purposes of problem-solving.
- Create New User - Add a new user account for your district/school.
Create a New User
- Click the Users tab.
- Click Create New User
- User Name - Give the new User a username to login with. All usernames must be unique. Password - The default (temporary) password is Schoolcity1 but can be changed using this field. User will be prompted to change this password during their first login.
Name - Enter in the User’s first and last names. (Required) Middle name is optional.
Email - Required information so that the system can notify the user if password needs to be reset.
- Role - Choose the proper role(s) for this user. Users may have multiple roles.
- Click Save to save the new User, or click Back to return to the previous page.
Each role can have the data view limited to specific schools and/or grades. For example, a department chair can be granted limited access to only grade 9 from a specific school, while an instructional coach can be granted access to grades 3-5 for all elementary schools in the district.
Teacher level users are automatically created during the nightly roster import process. Your district may have also opted to work with Illuminate representatives to create an automation for non-teacher role staff members.
Other districts rely on staff members assigned the Admin role to manually create new users and reset passwords as needed.
Limit Data View (optional)
This option will allow you to limit data for specific schools and/or grade levels. Users with Teacher roles MUST have an assigned School and Teacher.
- Choose the user’s Primary Role (Used only if user has multiple roles).
- Select School(s) - From the drop-down list, select the school(s) the user should have access to. If left blanks the user will have access to all schools.
- Select Grade(s) - From the drop-down list, select the grade(s) the user should have access to. If left blank, the user will have access to all grade levels at the school site.
- Click Save to save to save the changes, or Back to return to the previous page.
User accounts can be edited to add or modify their current roles or reset their password.
- Click on the Users tab.
- Use the Search filters to narrow the list of users. Click Refresh.
- Search for the specific user by entering his/her name in the search box. Click the magnifying glass icon.
- To the right of the user’s name, click the Functions column down arrow, then click Edit.
- To add or edit the user’s role, click the Role drop down menu and select the desired Role.
- The new role will be listed below. If this is an additional role for the user, select which role to make as the user’s primary role when they log in. Select the School(s) if this is a School Level role. Select grade(s), if applicable.
- Click Save after adding the role or making any other edits.