Create a survey to distribute to students or staff.
Where to Start
- From the top menu select Surveys.
- On the Manage Surveys page, select Create Survey.
Enter Survey Info
- Select the School Year in which the survey will be active.
- Survey Name - Name the survey.
- Survey Instructions - This information will be displayed prior to the participants seeing the survey questions.
- Survey Method
- Online - Depending on the audience, the survey is taken either through the Student Portal or through the selection of the Survey Flip Card.
- GradeCam - Answer sheets may be printed and completed forms may be scanned using GradeCam.
- Scanning - Scan answer sheets are used to complete the survey and scanned using the Scan application.
- Survey Mode
- Non-anonymous - Students and staff will take the survey within their respective portals. Responses will be connected to individual students and staff and this data will be available with the survey report.
- Anonymous - Students and staff will take the survey via an anonymous link. Responses will be anonymous and will not be connected to individual students and staff within the survey report.
- Semi-anonymous - Students and staff will take the survey within their respective portals. Responses will be anonymous and will not be connected to individual students and staff within the survey report.
- Survey Date - Start and End date for the survey to be accessible by the survey audience.
- Survey Audience - Select whether the audience of survey will be for Staff or Students.
- Single Teacher Linkage - Single Teacher linkage allows respondents to connect the survey to a teacher. While taking the survey, users will be able to select the teacher to associate the survey from a list of their teachers.
- School Linkage - School linkage allows respondents to connect the survey to a school. While taking the survey, users will be able to select the school to associate the survey from a list of their schools.
- Select Save and Next to advance to the next screen.
- Surveys may be created for the current or following School Year. Select the appropriate school year for the survey to be active. Note that a survey can only be published in the current school year.
For a complete review of creating each item type, visit the Survey Question Type Guide.
- Select the Question Type.
- Enter the question in the Question box.
- In Response Options, enter at least 2 options or answers available.
- To add additional responses or answers, select Add Choices.
- To save and complete this question, select Save Question.
- The Summary tab displays the survey details.
- Select the Online Settings slider to display the options for Online Settings.
- Select Online Preview to review the entire survey.
- Select Allow Resubmission if the survey taker may submit updated surveys. Only the most recent submission will be reflected in the results. This option is not available for Anonymous surveys.
- The Table of created questions includes:
- Order column (user may reorder the items except for Single Teacher Linkage (STL) and School Linkage (CSQ) question types)
- Question number
- Question type
- Whether a response is required
- Delete option
- Select Preview, Save or Publish to continue processing.
- Selecting the Online Preview icon displays the survey as it will be displayed in the respondents portal.
- Select Exit Full Screen to return to the Summary tab.
- Selecting the Question # icon will provide a preview of an individual item.
- An item preview displays.
- Select Close to go back to the Summary screen.
- The available Online Settings for surveys are:
- Time Window - Pre-sets which hours during the day surveys will be accessible to survey takers. Users cannot start an online survey prior to the Time Window Start Time or after the Time Window End Time.
- Days Window - Pre-sets which days of the week surveys will be accessible to users.
- Edit Language Selection - Permits the assignment of which languages survey takers may use to translate the survey.
- Full Assessment Translation: Allows students to view entire assessment, including controls and items, in the selected
- Translate Selection: Allows students to select single or multiple words to translate during online testing.
- Other Tools
- Color Contrast: Allows students to adjust screen background or font color.
- Dictionary: Allows students to look up words during online testing.
- Picture Dictionary: Allows students to look up visuals during online testing.
- Spell Check: Provides spell checking and word suggestion assistance for students when completing Constructed Response and Writing Prompt items during online testing.
- Text to Speech: A tool to read aloud to students in the Student Portal. Text with Custom Speech (SSML) markup added will be read in the alternate reading.
- Zoom: A tool to enlarge or shrink text and controls.
- Select Edit Language Selection to add or subtract languages available to the survey takers for the Translation settings
- Select or deselect languages to use for the survey.
Return to Manage Surveys
- Select Manage Surveys to return to the Manage Surveys screen.
- For Anonymous Surveys, from the Manage Surveys screen, select the down arrow under Functions.
- Select the Link to take survey to display the link to provide survey responders.
- The link to provide survey responders for anonymous surveys is available. Distribute this link to Students or Staff to access the anonymous survey.