When creating an assessment, the Setup screen is the last step to complete prior to publishing an assessment. This article covers the Setup features and options available.
The Setup screen is the final step in creating and determining the administration details for an Item Bank assessment.
- Administration Window - Depending on the district default, normally the assessment window is set from the current date for 30 days. You can manually change the dates by clicking the calendar icon, then choosing the date range for your assessment. Click Apply to save your date settings.
Method of Delivery - Scanning answer sheets via the Scan app and a TWAIN compliant Automatic Document Feeder scanner, or scanning GradeCam forms using a document camera are paper/pencil delivery methods (note, GradeCam must be part of your district's software license.) Online assessments are administered through the Student Portal. More than one delivery method may be selected, provided that all of the assessment item types support the different delivery methods (i.e., Scanning, GradeCam, Online). Depending on the item types selected, online or paper may be the only option.
Intended User - If you are administering the assessment with an Online Answer Sheet, you must indicate the intended user Student or Teacher. Student means that students will be completing the test online in the Student Portal. Teacher means that the teacher will enter the students’ answers on a Student Answer Sheet (online) after students take the test on paper. This is intended to be used by teachers whose students may have difficulty bubbling in the answer sheet on paper or online themselves.
- Add Rubric(s) - The Constructed Response (CR) items selected from an Item Bank include a scoring rubric. This can be deleted by sliding Yes to No, and adding a custom rubric for Teachers and Students, if desired.
- Enable Browser Lock Down (for districts that have licensed Respondus LockDown Browser) - Slide No to Yes to enable.
- Online Settings - If you are administering the assessment online, slide Show to Hide to view the online settings (see details below).
- Include Resources - If you want to add one or more resources to the Test Booklet, slide Show to Hide. Upload a PDF by using the folder icon, or create a resource.
- Answer Sheet Template - If administering the assessment on paper using traditional scan sheets, determine which answer sheet you will use Individual or Class Roster. Click on the view icon (eye) to preview each layout. (Note: GradeCam answer sheet forms are individual layout only.)
- Bubble Size - Determine which size bubble you prefer for your answer sheet. Click on the view icon (eye) to view a sample of each size. Note: GradeCam form sheets have only one bubble size.
- Answer Sheet Printing Start Date - Determine the date when answer sheets can be printed prior to the Administration Window Start Date.
Scoring End Date - Determine the end date that Constructed Response (CR) items can be scored (or student answers can be entered in the Online Answer Sheet) by staff members after the Administration Window End Date closes.
- Personalized Review Assignment (PRA) - PRAs can be assigned and students can access them through the Student Portal after submitting their score.
Online Administration / Online Assessment
Slide the Online Settings toggle from Show (gray) to Hide (green) to show all settings. Click on the "i" icon to view a brief description of each property or tool.
Restrict Users - Click on the padlock icons to the right of any property/tool to prevent (locked) or allow (unlocked) other users from changing the online settings
- Duration: Select the time duration of an assessment in hours and minutes. Slide the Yes to No to allow an assessment to remain untimed. If yes, click inside each box to increase or decrease the desired default time.
- Default Time Increment - If a Duration is set, select the amount of time that can be added while the assessment is in process.
- Time Window - Select the Start and End times of the day an online assessment is available to students in the Student Portal. Click on the clock to increase or decrease time.
- Days Window - Select the days of the week an online assessment is available to students in the Student Portal. Check the box next to each day to select it.
Select the properties of an online assessment. Select All, or check the box next to each to select individually. A checked green box means that property is ON, an open box means that property is turned OFF.
- 4 Digit PIN Verification - Requires students to enter a 4 Digit PIN to start taking an online assessment in the Student Portal.
Auto Activation - Scheduled students will be automatically activated once the assessment is published and the assessment window is open.
Auto Reactivation - Once a test is activated, students will be able to re-enter an assessment during the administration window as long as the assessment has not been submitted. The following scenarios will allow the student to re-enter the assessment if auto-reactivation is enabled: student closes/refreshes the browser; the application times out; connection to the Internet was temporarily lost; student clicks the exit button.
- Display Item Details in Student Portal - Displays test results in the Student Portal immediately after the student submits the test for scoring score, correct answers for all items, correct items, incorrect items, aligned standard(s), and resources.
Display Item Hint to Students in Student Portal - Upon completion of a test, all (multiple choice) items for which the student has answered incorrectly will be tagged for a second attempt. During the second attempt, a hint for each incorrect item will display and the initial incorrect response will not be available. The hint feature is only available for items created in the Work Space.
- Display Timer - Displays a timer (countdown clock) in the Student Portal.
Randomize Answer Choices - Randomizes the answer choices within an item for an online assessment.
Randomize Items - Randomizes the order of items on an online assessment.
Thermometer - Upon submitting an online test for scoring in the Student Portal, a visual representation of the total score will be displayed in the shape of a thermometer. Color can be selected
- Enable LockDown Browser (for districts that have licensed Respondus LockDown Browser) - Preselects activation of lockdown browser testing environment in the Student Portal.
Set the defaults for online tools students may use in the Student Portal. Selecting a tool means that all students will have access to the tool unless it is removed before activating students for online testing. Each tool may be assigned to specific students after they are activated for online testing.
- Calculator - The three levels of calculators are Advanced, Basic or Scientific. Only one may be opened at a time. Tutorials on using each of the calculators can be viewed at http://learn.desmos.com.
- Equation Editor - Only one equation editor can be selected Elementary (basic operations), Algebra (basic operations plus algebra functions), Algebra with Trigonometry (functions and symbols for algebra, trigonometry, and geometry), or Advanced (all functions and symbols for calculus and other advanced math classes).
- Media Upload - Permits students to upload media files (audio, image, video) when completing Constructed Response and Writing Prompt items during online testing.
- Full Assessment Translation - Allows students to view entire assessment, including controls and items, in the selected language.
Translate Selection - Allows students to select a single or multiple words to translate during online testing.
- Answer Eliminator - Allows students to cross out incorrect answers.
Color Contrast - Allows students to adjust background color or font color of the text.
Dictionary - Allows students to look up words during the administration of an online assessment.
Graph - A virtual graphing paper in which students can add points and form lines.
- Highlighter - Allows students to highlight text in three colors yellow, pink, blue.
Line Reader - A moveable, resizable frame to help track text while reading.
Notes - A sticky note tool for students to write notes.
Periodic Table - An interactive periodic table. Students can click on an element to enlarge it and see a more detailed view.
- Picture Dictionary - Picture dictionary tool for students to look up visuals during the administration of an online assessment.
Pop-Ups - Set in Online Markup, allows students to view definitions or other supports as determined by the assessment creator.
- Protractor - A moveable protractor to measure angles in test items.
Rollovers - Set in Online Markup, allows students to view definitions or other supports as determined by the assessment creator.
Ruler - A moveable ruler in inches or centimeters to measure length in test items.
Spell Check - Provides spell checking and word suggestion assistance for students when completing Constructed Response and Writing Prompt items during online testing.
Text Magnifier - A tool to enlarge or shrink text.
- Text to Speech - Set in Online Markup, allows students to hear text read aloud.
Writing Checklist - Set in Online Markup for individual items, creates a reminder/task list students can reference when working through an item (Texas Only).
Zoom - Allows students to increase or decrease the font size of text.
Click Save to save any changes you have made to Online Settings.
Once you completed your selections in the Setup screen, click Publish if you are ready to post your assessment, or Save if you wish to exit the system and leave your assessment unpublished.
View Your Published Assessment:
- The new assessment will be listed in the Manage Assessments module under the tab in which it was created: My Assessments, School, District or PLC. Assessments that you have recently created or have been working on will be listed under the Recent tab. If published, it will display with a green dot and Published in the Activity column.
- To revise the assessment, click on the gear icon to return to Setup.
- A PDF of the Student test booklet and Summary documents is available in the Functions column Documents folder. Click the folder icon to the right of the assessment name to view the files.
If changes need to be made to the test layout/structure after publishing, the assessment must be unpublished.