Many assessments within SchoolCity can be administered online to students through the Student Portal. Scheduled students must be activated, and their progress monitored by the Test Administrator. This document will review the entire process for activating students and monitoring an online assessment.
To learn how to access the Online Administration dashboard, please see the Accessing Manage Assessment for Online Administration document.
As students begin to take the assessment in the Student Portal, their progress can be monitored on the Online Administration screen by using the color-coding key. The Active color (purple) will change depending on each student's progress in completing the assessment. As students are working, you can click on any color to see the list of students in that category.
- All (blue) = all students who have been scheduled to take the assessment
- Inactive (gray) = student is scheduled, but has not been activated to take the assessment
- Active (purple) = student has been activated to take the assessment
- Incomplete (red) = student has exited testing or closed the browser before submitting the test for scoring, or has been stopped or paused by the test administrator
- In Process (orange) = student is in the process of taking the assessment
- Completed (green) = student has submitted test for scoring in the Student Portal, or a student's test scores have been submitted by the test administrator
- Reactivated - Reactivated students will be labeled within the Online Admin table. When a student begins their test again, their status will revert to Active and their status to In Process (orange).
The system will not permit "bulk" actions (Activate, Inactivate, Submit, etc.) to be processed when multiple students are selected with a different status. All bulk actions can only be processed on multiple students with the same status.
The first student (Becerra) has attempted or answered 1 of 20 items (5%) and is still taking the test, as indicated by the orange bar next to his name. In the Status of Items Attempted, the percent completed and number of items in the orange box indicate his progress. He has 1:24 left in the testing window to complete the assessment.
Students who are still In Process at 10pm Pacific Time will be automatically reactivated. If there is a student who is actively taking an assessment during this time, the student will still be reactivated but there is no visible change for the student and test may continue without interruption.
Teachers are able to see the students who were reactivated by this process by selecting the Online Admin History icon under Functions.
The third student (Chavez) clicked on Exit Testing in the Student Portal while on item 3 with 1:29 left in the testing window, as indicated by the red bar next to his name. The word Exited and number of items are shown in red in the Status column.
The fourth student (Crisantos) closed the browser before completing the test. She has a red bar next to her ID number, and in the column, Status of Items Attempted, the word Incomplete is shown in red and the number of items completed so far are shown in a red box.
To allow either student to resume testing, check the box next to the student's ID number, then click on the bolded Activate button (or Activate with PIN). The student may now log in to the Student Portal and resume testing.
The status of the reactivated student will now show as Reactivated. When either starts to answer test items again, his status will change to In Process (orange).
If auto-reactivation is turned on, students who exit the test or close the browser window will automatically be reactivated and set to purple.
If students are testing in a remote environment (home or other non-school location) it is possible that due to an "ungraceful" exit (power outage, shutting down device, internet outage, etc.) an "exit" transaction may not be received from the remote device. Should this occur, even with Auto-activation enabled, the student may need to be manually Activated.
The second student (Bulda) submitted the test after answering 16 out of 20 items, as indicated by the green bar next to his name, the word Completed, and number of items in green in the Status column. Note the timer has stopped.
Students are allowed to submit their test for scoring even if all the items have not been answered. However, upon submitting an incomplete test, students will see a message reminding them that some items are unanswered or flagged, giving them the opportunity to review the items before submitting the test for scoring.
During the administration of the assessment, students who are In Process (orange) may need to take a short break of no more than 30 minutes.
- Check the box next to the student's name.
- Click on Pause. This will temporarily stop the clock and suspend the test for that student.
- A red bar will appear next to the student's ID number and the word Paused and number of items in red will show in the Status column.
- A message will appear informing you that a student's test has been paused and how to resume testing. Click OK.
- Students will also see a message in the Student Portal when the test administrator has paused the test.
To resume testing, select the box(es) of the student(s) who have been paused, and then click Resume. Students can then proceed as before, and the status will return to In Process (orange).
- If for any reason you need to stop an assessment for students who are still In Process, check the box next to each student's name, and click on the bolded Stop button.
- An alert will appear to verify that this is the desired action. Once a test is stopped for a student, it will lock them out of testing until they are made Active again. Click Stop Testing for Selected Students or Continue Testing.
- All selected students who have been stopped will now have a red bar next to their ID number. The word Stopped and number of items will appear in red in the Status column.
- To reactivate a stopped student, click on the box next to the student's ID number, and then click on the bolded Activate button.
- The student's status will change to Reactivated. He can log back into the Student Portal and continue testing. All previous work will have been saved. Once he begins taking the assessment again, his status will change to In Process (orange).
- To submit scores for a student who is Stopped, Exited or Incomplete (red), select the checkbox next to the student's name, and click on the bolded Submit Score(s) button. This means the test is being completed for the student regardless of the student's progress on the assessment.
- A message will appear verifying that this is the desired action. Click OK or Cancel.
- If OK was selected, a second message will appear confirming the submission of scores.
- Students whose scores have been submitted by the test administrator will have a green bar next to their ID number and name, and be shown as Completed in the Status column, along with the number of items completed.
Only Users with permission from the district may delete scores. Teachers may not have permission to delete scores for School and/or District level assessments.
- To delete scores for any student who is Completed (green) select the checkbox next to the student's name, and click on the bolded Delete Score(s) button.
- A message will appear to verify that this is the desired action. Click Delete Scores or Cancel.
- After scores have been deleted, the students will be shown as Inactive (gray), and can be Activated again for this assessment, providing the testing window is still open.
Only users with permission from the district to Resume Online Testing for the specific level of assessment may reactivate a completed student.] If a student has submitted the assessment for scoring in the Student Portal, but needs to resume testing for any reason, he/she can be activated again. This will remove all existing scores from the reports until the student submits the test again. Answers will not be deleted from the Student Portal. The student will have access to all items and will be able to make edits and revisions as needed.
For a complete review of Resume Online Testing requirements select this link.
- Select the completed student(s) you wish to resume testing by checking the box next to their ID number and name.
- Select Activate With Pin or Activate, depending on whether a 4-digit PIN verification was set in Advanced Settings or not. A new PIN will be generated for the student to use to resume testing.
- The Resume Online Testing dialogue box will appear describing the consequences of this action. Click on Erase Results and Resume Testing or Keep Existing Scores.
- After this has been done, the students will be shown as Reactivated (purple), and can resume online testing, provided the testing window is still open.
Online Settings for any student may be updated through the Update Accommodations feature. This option permits the teacher to update online properties and tools for individual students or in bulk for multiple students.
Only students that have already been Activated may be updated using this feature.
Once all students have submitted their assessments for scoring, you can view the results in the Report Manager. Access the reports from the Top Menu Bar by clicking on Reports. Or, from the Launchpad, click on the REPORTS flip card to select the desired report on the flipped side.