The Writing Prompt (WP) item type can be created in the Work Space and then used in an online Item Bank Assessment. Students are provided a prompt to which they must provide a written response within the Student Portal. Teachers can then score the student responses using the Score Online process.
If the Writing Prompt item is defined within a Scoring Event, please refer to the Scoring Event help document here.
To learn about how to score Constructed Response (CR) and Short Answer (SA) items, click here.
1. Where to Start
Visit Navigate to Entering Scores for Assessments to review how to navigate to the scoring feature.
The Score Online icon will be bolded once the students submit their online assessment for scoring.
View the Score Online Constructed Response Items screen: By Students
CR items must be scored within the scoring window dates as set by the Test Creator/Administrator.
- Assessment Name, Subject, and Roster Year.
- Change Assessment: Click on the down arrow to select a different assessment.
- For an Item Bank assessment containing at least one CR and/or WP item that was selected to be scored in a Scoring Event, a message will display on the Score Online screen to notify users that items selected for scoring via Scoring Event will not be available on that screen.
- Filter students by Period, if appropriate, then click Refresh.
- Tabs for score By Student (default setting), By Item, By Groups, View Student Notes, if any were made by students while testing, and Score Review, a preview of how students have performed on each assessment item.
- Show Incomplete: Click here to show the student responses that have not yet been scored.
- Current Student Name displayed. Use the drop down arrow next to the student’s name to view the entire roster and select another student.
- Prev: Go to the previous student on the roster. Next: Go to the next student.
- Save: Click Save after scoring each student’s response to add the score to the student’s assessment results. It is recommended that you save often to avoid losing data.
- Full Screen: View the student response and teacher feedback text boxes in full screen.
- Download icon: Export Student Answers to PDF and print.
- Score Points: Enter the score for each objective as set up by the Writing Prompt creator.
- Student Response: View the written response from the student.
- Student Rubric and Student Notes.
- Copy to Feedback: Copy student response into Teacher Feedback textbox.
- Teacher Rubric.
- Teacher Feedback (optional): Give feedback to students about their response. Click Save to save the feedback or click on the trashcan icon to delete.
Student Rubric and Student Notes
- A Student Rubric may be attached during the Writing Prompt creation process, so students understand how their response will be scored.
- Students may write Notes for this item (if given as a tool by the Test Administrator) as they complete the Writing Prompt in the Student Portal. If the student has used the Notes tool, it will be highlighted yellow. Click on the appropriate icon to view each.
Copy to Feedback
As an option, the entire student response can be copied into the Teacher Feedback text box.
- Click on Teacher Feedback. It will change to orange and a text box will appear below.
- Click on the Copy to Feedback icon. This will add the student response to the Teacher Feedback text box.
- Write comments and use the CKEditor formatting tools as needed. Students will be able to review Teacher Feedback in the Student Portal if allowed to view the results of their assessment.
- Click Save to save your comments.
Uploaded during the Writing Prompt item creation process.
- Click on the T icon to view the scoring rubric for this item.
- Use the arrows in the bottom right hand corner to expand the window. Click and drag it to any spot on the screen.
- Click the X in the upper right hand corner to close the rubric window.
Full Screen View
The full screen view offers another option for reviewing student responses and scoring them.
- Click on the Full Screen icon.
- Student Name, Prev, Next, CR Item Number: Use the Prev and Next buttons to move from student to student.
- Score points: Enter the scores for each objective.
- Student Rubric, Notes, Copy to Feedback: See above for more information.
- Student Response: View the student’s answer.
- Teacher Rubric: Click on the gray icon to open the rubric. A split screen displays with the student response on the left and the rubric on the right.
- Hide the Teacher Rubric: Click on the orange arrow to hide the rubric.
- Save/Close: Click Save after scoring the response. Clicking on Close takes you back to the original screen.
- Exit Full Screen: Return to the previous screen.
Score By Item
In this view you can see all student responses to the same item.
- Click on the By Item tab to view all student responses for this item.
- Scroll down to view all students’ answers for this item
- Points possible/Teacher Rubric/Student Rubric.
- Teacher Feedback to the far right of each student’s name to provide feedback to that student.
- Student Notes (if any) and Copy to Feedback (if desired).
- Score the response.
- Save often to include student score in Reports.
- Full Screen: Click here to view in full screen mode.
- Download to PDF.
Score By Groups
If student groups have been created in the Group Manager, a group may be selected for viewing and scoring.
- Click on the By Groups tab.
- Use the drop down menu to select the desired group. Click Refresh to view results.
- Read and score the responses as described above.
View Student Notes
View notes students wrote and saved about items during the testing session in the Student Portal.
- Click on the View Student Notes tab.
- Student Name: Click Prev to go to the previous student; click Next to go to the Next student on the roster.
- View notes By Student (default) or By Item.
- Download icon: Export to PDF and print.
See a preview of how students scored on all items on the assessment.
- Click on the Score Review tab.
- Student ID, Last Name, First Name, Objective Scores, Total, Percent Correct (blue bar graph).
- Each column can be reordered by using the up/down arrows in the header. Click one to reorder from lowest to highest score. Click again to reorder from highest to lowest score.
- Export results to PDF, Excel, or CSV.